Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Alberta Bound pt.2 the power struggle!

Good morning world! I've some how fallen behind, I've been here in Alberta for about a week and a half now, and you all think I'm still sleeping on a picnic table, some where before Valemont! So back to it. So when we last left our intrepid adventurer, he(me) was fast asleep in his surprizingly warm/comfortable "Bums Bed", and as the dawn slowly approches, the still is shatterd by the uber annoying screech of the Dufferphones built in alarmclock!(actulally the sleep felt sooo good I even hit the snooze, yes the Dufferphone had all the features!) So now its 5:15am,(don't ask me if that was Alberta time or B.C. time, but probably B.C. time still,)on a clear friday morning, and there parked directly in frount of me was some big shinny ford with dual tires and a trailer, even bigger then mine, but I don't suffer from trailer envey, so thats just fine, the thing was as soon as I started up the Blaze, the automatic head lights come on,(and stay on all the time,) and just bathed,(washed?)this poor sleeping guys truck with bright "wake up now" kind of light. So he did, as I was still packing up my portable bedroom suiet, he started up and took off, with less sleep then he antisipated! Back on the road, and all is well, stop at Valemont to refuel, and have good breakfest of gas station treats. Somewhere before Blueriver I notice the powerlow light flicker on, hmmmm, not good. Now my Mom had told me the battery might be bad, and they had had problems in the past with it, so I was instently remineded of what I had said to myself as I was leaving the drive way on my way out,"Nothing better happen, cause all my tools are in the Cruiser, and I won't know how to fix this truck any ways!" So for the next few hours, I watch the volt meter slowly fall, lower and lower, it still had power and was falling slowly enough, I thought I could make it to Hinten, whitch was my next fuel stop,(and a hell of a lot closer to "new home" incase I had to get my mommy come get me! not so manly I know,) Of course I had turned the stereo off,(as much as I could any ways, its always lite up so to speak,) and saddly the aircond. also had to go, but the problem with new trucks is every thing is power, no more cold air blasting at me, go to roll down the window, oh shit, power windows, oh well just use a little, should ajust the mirrors to see the flapping tarp better, oh shit, power mirrors, oh well just a little, even the light, telling me I was losing power, was taking power! I still stoped at mt. Robinson for this shot, its rare to see the top. Of coures when I got going again, the power had droped even farther, note to self, NO STOPING!
This plan was working, till about the Jasper park gates, they really like it when you stop, so the power drops a little faster, still o.k.(?) then at the town of Jasper it self, they have a few street lights, so more power wasted. About the time I'm leaving Jasper, and still well over 100km from Hinten, I get the brainstorm, that the running lights are whats killing me,(or really the battery,) so I think to pull over and try to disconnect all the unneeded fuses, to save power, but or course I don't really know whats needed or not, so get out, cab light stays on, open the hood, stupid little under hood light comes on, stare at fuses for about 2 min. give up jump back in truck, and everythings dead, no dash board at all!(even the stereo light was fianially out!) Drive for about 100yards and it dies, so dig out my booster cables,(tip of the day, keep the cables handy, no matter how over packed you may be!) and with in a few min. some good guy stops by to give me a boost. Now I knew this would only be a temp. fix, by now I suspected the alternater was shot, so after the boost, I head back toward Jasper, I didn't get more then 3 min. away before it died again, this time on the side of the busy road! Now before I had left, my Mom, had gotten me AmA, and I had said, no, I'll never use it, but thankfully, she was abel to text me my info over the Dufferphone, and soon help was on the way,(took a hour and a half to get there but thats neither here nor there,) The AmA guy also belived it was the alt. so with a fresh boost,(longer this time,) and directions to the fixit shop, I was on my way! Some how, I took a wrong turn, and ended up in the Jasper public works yard, or something, when it died for the last time. Armed with new directions, and a fresh sence of optimism, I headed to the local Napa. A few hundred $ latter,(thanks to moms card over the phone trick,) and I had a shinny new alt. As I had no tools, I bought a cressent wrench, and returned to the truck. Any one whos tried to work on a new truck know how frustrating it can be, because nothings out in the open. After 2 more trips to Napa, and 1 to Homehardware, I had bought over $60 in tools,(all of whitch I already own, and are in the back of the Crusier even now!) So after about 5hours total from the first death, till fianal victory, I was back under way, heres the shinny new alt. in place.(and it has been no problem ever since!)
So now theres no stoping me, I didn't even get the grease off my hands till I got to new home. It was smooth sailing till I was in Edmonton, looking for my turnoff, and all of a sudden, I was trying to avoid running over pillows, scatterd all over the road! Some poor guys moving experience was worse then mine. As I'm laughing to myself, I think, shuddn't do that, I dont know how much stuff I've lost, and it might be bad karma, then I noticed my exit, slipping by on the right. After a bout 20min. screwing around, I got back on the right path. I fianally arrive, at my new home, and right off to bed, next morning,(saturday, for those of you fallowing along,) I get up to start the unpacking, so we could take the trailer back to U-haul, all of my clothes were still packed, so I put back on the clothes, from wendsdays early morning golf game with Jay. So golfed/bar-b-que on wed. golf thurs. slept in clothes thurs. night, worked on truck in blazing sun on fri.(after driving several hours with no air con. on,) then wake up sat. and put on those same clothes! (tip #2, keep at least one other set handy!) After the unpack,(and my shower!) we took the trailer back to Edmonton, and this concludes my epic sojourn from wet B.C. to sunny Alberta, the land of $1 beer and no pst! Still been to busy to golf, right now I'm at Lyns cabin, repainting some rooms, and stuff, Hi Lyn, thanks for everything! but will try to get some in before the snow flies! have a great week, DufferKev!
























2 comments:

  1. Wow, epic journey indeed! Glad to hear you made it ok, isn't that always the truth, never need tools when you have them, and the one time you need them they're in the other rig. I almost feel guilty, my move was unremarkable! But then again, I've had trips that were .... remarkable? yeah, I guess that works in context!

    Now, lets just stay put and never talk of moving again, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course now I'm moving across the yard! short moves are still moves, right.

    ReplyDelete