Wednesday, May 11, 2011

HatchBacks Ho!

Well hey there and happy mothers day to all,(yes, even the moms)hope you all have a great one!(and to all kids out there, here's a free tip: Forget the halmark, sap-a-thon, card shopin expierience, make your mothers day morning unforgetable, with a homemade card. First find somthing around the house to make the card from,(remember its not cheap, its from the heart!)I recomend pancakes! Here's where your creativity takes over, the options are limitless, you can carve them into heart shapes, or just add a heart felt message in peanut butter,(remember to save the empty jar!) a chocolate chip smilely face, will be sure to put a smile on her face! Start early, and dont worry about the mess you'll be making, just slip in and surprise her with a edible card, and while she's trying her best to thank you around a mouthful of mothers day delight,(and not drip jam on the pillow,)you slip out, ninja like for maybe 6-8 hours, go golfing or somthing, the course will be empty early mothers day morning. And the best part is, the house will be clean when you get home!)(oh yeah, you'll only get away with this till your about 12...14 at the max, athough I might still try it one more time!)
O.k., on with the blog, this is the first of several blogs dealing with my recent trip to Vancouver, I have been back for 1 week, and 1 day! I'm also happy to report, I'm back working at the golf course. Coal Creek has never looked better to me then after this last hard cold winter at Black Earth!(I'll trade green for black any day!)
It was a sunny, warm, wensday afternoon, the golf bag was checked, and double checked. All the beer cans empty or full had been removed to save wieght, and/or help finance the trip! Wensday morning had been spent finishing the last blog, empting my camera, filling my batteries...and last minutes of desperate packing!(forshadowing of doom ahead?) These shots are of the rockies, as taken form the left side of the car, if you want to see the mounties on the other side of the road...you'll have to wait till I'm on my way home!
The little honda buzzed along like a champ! I was amazed with the fuel economy, and the zipp! it was hard to stay below 130!(km) I was able to stay in 5th gear for most of the steep hills through out the passes, and when gravity finally won over momentim, a few seconds back in 4th got me back over 100km . I kind of kept waiting for the bad parts, where I'd be in trouble, slugging along behind some semi, at 40km, in 2nd gear, overheating, and underpowerd, wishing for a big gust to just blow me over the side of some unknowen pass...but then I saw the Hope turn off! But I'm getting ahead of myself here.
I guess one of the reasons I may have been concerned about overheating on the long trip, would be because just before I left I washed the car at one of those Lazer wash(touchless)places. Both when being pelted by the water, and even the turbo air drier, I could feel the car move! No big deal right, think nothing of it, drive over to lube-x to get the oil changed etc. Now while I had the car running for the engien scrubby/shampooy thing, the fan kicked in for the first time since the car wash. Remember I had said the high presser water/air had moved the car around? Well the car wasn't the only thing to move...the cooling fins from my 20yr. old radiator had moved back into the fans path, and in the seconds following the fan coming on...well, have you ever seen one of those cans of peanut brittle, with the fake snake that comes streamering out? it kind of looked like about 60 of them, but much smaller. The tech guy was leaning over the car, and boy did he jump! After cleaning the rest of the fins out of the way,(about half remain)I tried to get a new rad. Unfortunatly the soonest I could have gotten one was 2 day's, and had to be shipped from Vancouver! After testing the old rad,(by driving home,)I found it didn't leak, or over heat, so I decided to go to Vancouver, and maybe buy a new one there. Now I'm home and the old ones still not leaking or over heating, maybe I'll buy a new one and just keep it in the car till the old one blows out, who know how much farther I'll get on it!
Oh yeah...theres some mountin sheep, proudly mooning the motoriest near Jasper, I think it was probaly just a frat prank or somthing, thier usealy pretty good about that sort of thing! I don't know what their eating, looks like rocks, tough critters, eat stone, crap pebbles!
I decided to camp out at a rest area just past Hope. This is an oasis for weary travler, its perfect. Its big enough to find a spot away from the lights, the travel trailer crowd, but still be close to the fancy bathroom with the running water and flush john! It was about midnight local time, so about 1 am my old time as I made my BumsBed v.2!(pat.pend.) This version is nowhere as comfortable as the first, but it is portable, and rainproof. I put the passangers seat as far foward as I can, then place my suitcase in the hole between the front and back seats. A couple well placed pillows, a thick comfy, warm blanket, thick socks, a sweater, a touque, and a feverious passion to go golfing the next day, all combined to give me a warm,(enough)comfortable,(enough)nights sleep! If only I was 6 inches to a foot shorter, it would have been perfect.(spooning with my golf bag was just a little unexpected bonus!) After 9 blissful hours of sleep, I woke fresh as a dasiy! The rain had fallen most of the night, some times quite hard. As I drove west for about another hour, the farther down into the valley I get the brighter the day is getting. After meeting up with my buddy Chris,(more on this delightful charictor latter, I promise!) we decided to follow the sun, and head west to start my golfing adventours. Delta Gold Club was our first campain. Seams it had been about 6 months since either of us had swung a club, and we were both feeling the rust, so to speak.(it didn't help that Chris golf talented brother Brad came along, as he wasn't rusty at all! so to be fair he handicapped himself(as if golfing with us wasn't enough to handicap anyone!)we got a card for each par, and 2 for each birdie, Brad only got cards for birdies, witch was a good thing cause he parred the first 5 holes in a row! Then at the end of the round, we play poker with how many cards we got through out the game, for like a toonie.) Around hole 9, the sun broke through the cloud layer, and it was Glorious! Right there was worth the whole trip, I could have left that night and been happy! I still had 7 more days! Tentitivly, I slowly peel off two layers of clothes, ready to dash back into thier warm enbrace, but no the sun was real! It floods my body with its radioactive embrace! Ghostly white legs sprouting from shorts that havent seen the light of day since the frogs quite croaking. Thick, wooly socks, laughing in the face of fashion, feet, suddenly soggy from the surprise betrayal of my much beloved golf shoes, then it all comes together, and I par holes 11, 13, and 14! Its like the cup was this big!(see attached photo, ed.) Well I think thats enough for tonight, lets just leave it at driving 1200km, playing one of my favorite courses, and getting 3 pars in my first game in over 6 months!...and Chris winning the poker with 1 card! a queen will beat 2, threes, and a 4 every time! (seams like there must be a dirty joke in there some where!) any way's have a good week. Latter DufferKev.

No comments:

Post a Comment