Monday, August 31, 2009

Alberta Bound pt.1


Good day everyone, this is my first alberta blog, and will deal with my last Vancouver daze, aswell as the begining of my epic journy to the Edmonton area. Lets start on tueday afternoon, my friend Jay gets back into town and calls to set up an early wensday pitch-n-putt, followed by an afternoon bar-b-que. So up at 5:15 am, golf till about 10:00am, I played quite well, several pars and a birdie. Then back home to find a u-haul trailer. At about 5:30pm, have trailer hooked up and am on my way to Jay's bar-b-que in Surrey, about a hour+away. Very nice spread at Jay's, big assed burgars, hotdogs, salad, shishki-bobs, etc. Got to say good bye to my friends, who where there to say good bye to Jay, and had no idea I was even leaving! After a few hours of relaxing, and eating, I head home. I get home and start packing about 10pm. Moving down stairs is easier the moving up, but being tired, and having the stairs of death to deal with, was not reasuring, imagine a three story cheese grater. After seaveral hours of packing I got the Blaze filled, so could start on the trailer,(had to also wait for the fridge to defrost its freezer, of course left it plugged in till the last minute, so to keep my beer cold untill I could find my cooler.) So here I am, tired and sweaty, and only about half done. Now its time to move the fridge, I was using one of those big dollies with the strap, and wheels on the back to help with stairs, so should have been easy. I started down, and if you get it on the right angle, it kind of just free wheels down the stairs, at terrifying speeds, with me white eyed, flying along behind! the only way to stop is to lean the fridge foward, at whitch time the back wheels lose contact with the stair surface, and everything come grinding(rappidly)to a hault!(with me,still white eyed, trying despretely to keep from flying over the top of the fridge.) This I had to do three times, once for each floor! Now my golfing buddy Chris, had set up a tee time for 7:22am on thrusday, at a course on my way out of town, and called me at 7am. I was running behind, and had a few hours of loading/tying/tarping, to go. At around 10am I arrive at Newlands golf and country club, a fairly ritzy type place, and I show up, not having slept in 30hours, sweaty, dirty, loud shirt, and no hat! After a so-so half round,(I only got there in time for the last 8 holes)I said my good byes, and headed out. I stopped near Hope B.C. for a 2 hour nap, witch was had on a hill in the shade near a rest stop picnic area. Then headed out to Kamloops. The trip over the pass was slow, the Blaze with all the weight of my crap, was even slower then the cruiser had been two weeks earlier. Heres a couple of shots of the mountian sunset! Pretty! So after refueling, eating, and restocking on monster energy drinks in Kamloops,(the 5 I bought before the trip, were carefully packed in Vancouver, and safely made the trip here,) I decided to stop for the night some where before Valemont. The bachelors tip for the day is all about moving, road side, all stuff packed, camping! I pulled into a rest stop, and stoped next to a picnic table,(that I assumed was wood, but turned out to be granite topped!) I layed down a reflective windshield sunblocker,(to keep the cold down and the warm up!) then a mexician blanket, then a big thick comforter,(witch came in a nice plastic bag, that I put my shoes in to keep dry from morning dew!) then my two bed blankets. This looked like a bed, and I slepted a soild 7 hours!(even set a alarm, and felt so good I hit snooze!) The sun reflector below, reflected the body heat back up, and made a oven like envirment, that was cozy and hard to leave. It was a clear, stary night, and I havent been camping for years, so quite enjoyed it,(although right before drifting off, I thought,"gee a big truck jake brake sounds just like a wolf growl!" then giggled to myself and went to sleep! This was my "bums bed" and this is the end of the first installment of the Alberta trek blogs, so have a great week! Latter DufferKev.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, nice camping tips! Guess I could have used more blankets when I did my Urban Camping adventure to San Diego, course I was way over weight that trip as it was :) Speaking of, we'll have to plan some camping for next year!

    Carlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah forsure, Problem with my set up was my super comfy foamy was about 1ft. out of reach in the trailer, oh well, I slept long enough as it was!

    ReplyDelete